SEPTEMBER IS CHILDHOOD CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
See how you can make a difference to help kids fighting pediatric cancer by supporting Four Diamonds families in September and year-round.
Each September, families, caregivers, researchers and charities around the world unite in honor of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. A Presidential Proclamation recognizing National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month was first issued by President Barack Obama in September 2012.
Treatment outcomes for children with cancer have made tremendous improvements over the past 50 years, but the reality is one in five children with cancer will still die of their disease within five years.* Four Diamonds is on a mission to change this reality. You can help children and families fighting cancer by raising awareness and taking action For The Kids®.
Four Diamonds child Celia, 11, and her mom Sara
Whether you are looking to spread the word about the importance of cancer research or you want to participate in an event supporting a childhood cancer nonprofit, there are many activities that you can be involved in to join the fight against pediatric cancer.
Make A Life-Saving Gift
To help you in sharing the facts about childhood cancer, and the urgent need for support, we’ve collected some of the easiest ways that you can raise awareness through social media and materials.
- Update your Facebook profile picture with a gold ribbon, which is the international symbol for childhood cancer awareness.
- Download and print Four Diamonds posters and childhood cancer statistics. Hang these at your business, at your desk or in your classroom!
- Follow Four Diamonds on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn to share our photos, videos and stories with your own social networks using #ChildhoodCancerAwarenessMonth and #GoGoldFTK.
- Share your passion and childhood cancer statistics on social media to rally others around your cause. Below are some sample posts you may want to share, and check out our new digital toolkit!
- I have joined Four Diamonds in the fight to conquer childhood cancer. Learn more at FourDiamonds.org #GoGoldFTK
- Did you know that in the U.S., more than 16,000 children are diagnosed with cancer each year? Four Diamonds is working to change that. Learn more at FourDiamonds.org #GoGoldFTK
- Thanks to research, there are more than 420,000 childhood cancer survivors in the U.S., with that number expected to reach 500,000 by 2020. #GoGoldFTK
- Research saves lives, and Four Diamonds is leading the discovery of new and improved treatments and cures for kids around the world. #GoGoldFTK
Jersey Mike’s (Harrisburg, Pa. area)
- Jersey Mike's Subs customers can donate their change to benefit Four Diamonds throughout September at five of their locations: Camp Hill, Hershey, Linglestown, Mechanicsburg and Swatara.
Kick Cancer to the DIRT (Lancaster, Pa.)
- Kick Cancer to the DIRT will host its 5th annual tennis tournament September 5-6 at the Racquet Club West in Lancaster. Last year's event raised over $15,000 for Four Diamonds families and is held each year in memory of Andrea Cubbison and Olivia Lynch. Consider supporting this event by playing tennis, sponsoring the tournament and/or volunteering to help with setup and cleanup.
Family-Owned Markets (Lancaster, Pa. area)
- Family Owned Markets will participate in a pin-up campaign from September 14 – October 4. Visit one of these stores to purchase your Four Diamonds pin-up and show your support For The Kids®.
H2L Studio (Mechanicsburg, Pa.)
- H2L Studio will host an outdoor barre class on Sunday, September 20 to raise money for Four Diamonds families.
Palmyra Grocery Outlet (Palmyra, Pa.)
- The Palmyra Grocery Outlet will participate in a paper diamond campaign throughout September, asking customers to make a $1 donation, a $5 donation or round-up their change.
Penn State Children’s Hospital Hematology/Oncology
Sign Gypsies (Harrisburg, Hershey, Pa.)
Gettysburg Rocks (Gettysburg, Pa.)
- Individual music festivals will take place in September, including the Oasis Mountain Music Festival September 25-26!
Klick Lewis (Palmyra, Pa.)
- Klick Clewis will match customer donations during the month of September, up to $5,000, for Four Diamonds! Supporters can write their name on a paper diamond, which will be featured in the showroom.
Register for the Virtual THON 5K, powered by PNC
- The Penn State Dance Marathon (THONTM) is a year-round fundraising effort coordinated by thousands of students at Penn State. This year’s event will be virtual and you are invited to run, walk, bike or swim a 5K along with the THON community on Sunday, October 11. Your registration will directly benefit Four Diamonds children and their families by covering all medical bills not paid for by insurance and by funding life-saving research.
Support, organize or participate in a Four Diamonds Mini-THON®
- Mini-THONs are fun and inspiring events for K-12 students that encourage teamwork, leadership and creativity while empowering youth and young adults through philanthropy and community service in the fight to conquer childhood cancer. Like THONTM, Mini-THONs hold year-round fundraising activities that support Four Diamonds childhood cancer families and help fund life-saving cancer research. To start a Mini-THON or participate in your school’s Mini-THON events, learn more and find your local Mini-THON school.
Our work depends on you. Make a difference by turning your activities into fundraising campaigns to help raise awareness and funds for our cause. Fundraising can be easy. Create a Personal Campaign in just a few steps:
1. Create a page.
2. Set a goal and customize your campaign page.
3. Spread the word and invite people to donate!
As a childhood cancer charity, Four Diamonds is funded by generous supporters and businesses!